Thursday, March 18, 2010

Homebrew

The first time I homebrewed was February 2009. It took me a year to get back in the game. Right now I have 5 gallons of Durd's Dunkelweizen sitting in my fermenter waiting to be primed and bottled. A dunkelweizen is a dark wheat beer. I was going for a classical style and as far as I know it has not been contaminated with bacteria. Bottling is a pain in the ass but I don't want to make the leap to kegging just yet. The beer is probably darker than normal. When I developed the recipe I was set to use only 4-6oz of Chocolate wheat malt, but since I don't have a scale I had to go with a full 8oz. Wheats by nature are usually on the less hoppy side so this beer will be very malty. I really like wheats because of the banana like flavors the yeast imparts. For yeast I chose the Weihenstephaner wheat strain. When it was fermenting the smell coming from the fermenter was amazing. The only problem I have is deciding what I want to brew next. I plan on keeping about a case around at all times. So that will mean brewing every couple of months.

This next beer I want to do a kit just to see how much more convenient it is compared to using a recipe I personally formulated. I buy my supplies from Midwest Supplies. They have really good prices and are reliable. I need to figure out which kit I want to brew. I'm torn between the Irish Red Ale, Amarillo Pale Ale, Black Dog Ale, Porter and Hex Nut Brown Ale. If anyone is reading this and wants to throw in their two cents go right ahead.

Keep your empties.

No comments:

Post a Comment