Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Trying to stay on track...

The German style hefeweizen I brewed on the 28th of July is almost ready to bottle. I think I will take care of that Saturday. It has a great aroma. It seems heavy on the banana esters, but hopefully the clove phenols will come through when tasted.   My extraction efficiency is what has been killing the sugar content of my wort. As far as I can tell I'm getting conversion of starch to sugar in the grain. Due the coarse crushing of the grain, a lot of sugars are getting left behind instead of being rinsed away. I've talked to some other brewers and they have suggested that I get my grains crushed twice when I order them so I have a better chance at extracting more sugars from my mash.

 Then on Sunday, I will brew the American amber ale I've been planning. As usual here is the recipe I am planning.

Fermentables:

   1# Light DME
3.3# Light LME
   3# 2-Row Pale Malt
   1# Victory Malt
   1# Flaked Rye
  .5# Crystal Rye Malt
2 oz Chocolate Rye malt

Hops:

 1oz Cascade 6.2%AA pellets for 60 min.
 1oz Cascade 6.8%AA pellets for 20 min.
.5oz Crystal 4.1%AA pellets for 20 min.
 1oz Cascade 6.8%AA pellets at flame-out.
.5oz Crystal 4.1%AA pellets at flame-out.

Yeast:
Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50
SafAle US-05 American Ale (back up yeast)

This beer will hopefully have some good depth. I'm hoping for a nice malt backbone tempered with moderate bitterness and hop flavor and aroma. The rye malts are for an extra bready, spicy edge. I won't know how well it works until its finished though. In the mean time I will probably take a short break from brewing to drink what I have since I don't have enough space to keep more than a few cases on hand. That's what good beer loving friends are for.

I'll most likely update again in 2 or so weeks when its time to taste the wheat beer. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment