Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Personal Evolution

After reading my first ever post on this blog, I've come to realize just how much my tastes have changed in the two-ish years since I started. I have become a certifiable hop-head. I love the fragrant citrusy American hops.  I love IPA now, and have even gotten a taste for Imperial/Double IPA. I've found out that I am just not that fond of beers heavy on roasted malts. Every now and then I do like a stout or porter but overall they are just not my cup of tea.  Due to the hop shortage I mentioned, I've been having a hard time with recipes since I like to use the American hops in most of them.  Without many other options I've been looking into using New Zealand hops. A lot of them seem to have some similar characteristics to some of the American hops I like.  In the near future I will probably use these unique new hops in a beer to see how they compare. The great thing about this hobby is that there is always some new stain of yeast, type of hops or malt coming out. Even though things don't always go as planned, I always seem to have options.

No comments:

Post a Comment